Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

In 2011, A car I was about to buy was clamped

In 2011, A car I was about to buy was clamped for being untaxed by a DVLA agent and I decided to pay the release fee (£100) and surety (£160). I paid this and then got a Tax disc. I want to know if this is considered to be a fixed penalty notice?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. This is not a fixed penalty notice - this was collection of a debt. Also you seem to be saying th debt was owed by somebody else and you paid it, therefore, it is not something which will affect your character.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happened was the former keeper had gone for a VIC the previous day and decided we would tax it the next day since I was going to pick it up the next day.I want to know if such would be considered as a road traffic offence? or is it just an offence under the vehicle registration act.Thanks for your help
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
This is a car tax duty evasion case by the former owner. Strictly speaking this is not a road traffic offence - it might cause the former owner some difficulty but I don't see how it could affect you especially as for years have passed since the incident .