Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I received a summons to attend court almost 6 months after

Customer Question

i received a summons to attend court almost 6 months after my speeding incident happened, i drove into a 30 mph speed limit at 52 mph and a police officer ran into the road to stop me , the distance from the point of entry to where i stopped was just one tenth of a mile.... is there a set distance that a police officer must track a car with a speed camera to be able to prosecute the driver for speeding ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. Are you disputing the speed of 52 mph?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I will work on the assumption that you are disputing the speed and will plead not guilty. The police have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you exceeded the speed limit and that your speed was 52 mph - if convicted there is a serious risk of an immediate disqualification. There is no set distance or length of time that must be recorded due to the nature of type of device usually used by the police - the devices are usually accurate within a range of 300 metres, anything over that becomes less accurate. The police also have to prove the device was properly calibrated and is approved by the Home Office, so you need to check to see whether this is stated in the officers statement.But going back to your original question - 1/10th of a mile is likely to produce an accurate recording : the point being that the greater the distance the less reliable the device becomes.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you