Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

There, recently my wife parked in sainsbury than

Customer Question

Hi there, recently my wife parked in sainsbury for more than 3 hours on multiple times. She was charged by euro car parks ltd every time she overstays. This has accummulated to around £3000 of the parking charges and has been transferred to Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. The total charges are £3000 pounds. The Debt recovery Ltd reduced it to £2000 pounds payment just for today only. I am wondering is that even legal for the Debt Recovery Plus Ltd to carry out legal actions? Also, saying that the offer only stands for today sounds slightly dodgy.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Is she willing to pay any of it and if so how much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, £2000 is too much for her to pay. But she is willing to pay £1000, which for her is alot of money
but the debt company is adamant for the payment of £2000 today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering what should we do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
How many tickets were there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost 30
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Debt collection companies are instructed to recover money. All they can do is make calls and write but they can make and negotiate offers.
If you don't arrange a deal with the debt collection company, it will return to the private land company. For one or two tickets it would not be cost effective for them to sue. For almost thirty is might. This is a reasonable sum of money which can still be tried in the small claims court. it is worth their while suing and generally they are becoming more aggressive than formerly.
She needs to decide on her appetite for risk really. If she refuses it may well just disappear. Some of them may become time barred. However, they may sue and seek a CCJ.
She can always put them to proof on adequacy of signs if the matter does go to court.