How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70305
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have received a Debt Recovery letter from Debt Recovery Plus

Customer Question

I have received a Debt Recovery letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. via Royal Mail Redirect because of a Parking Charge Notice for marginally overstaying in a car park last October sent to my previous address even though my driving licence is registered to the correct address and has been since last July. Strangely, I did not receive the original charge notice sent to the wrong address by redirect.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
From what you have said - it doesn't sound like a Court Order has yet been obtained. Does the letter say that Debt Recovery plus are acting on behalf of the parking company?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caroline,Yes DRP are acting on behalf of Smart Parking Ltd. Is it valid if SP Ltd. have obviated my right to appeal by using the wrong address in November even though the DVLA have my correct address (as printed on my driving licence) since July.Patrick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a court order just a threat of a court order if I don't pay £160 by Tuesday.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Patrick
Thank you for confirming that for me.
As there is no court order currently in place - you do not need to seek to set that aside.
You do however need to utilise Smart Parkings Appeal process - including in the information that you have about the address being incorrect.
You should contact Debt Recovery Plus and tell them that you are going through the Appeal process with Smart Parking. This will stop them contacting you whilst the Appeal goes through.
Kind Regards
If you have found this service useful please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds good but the appeal process closes 28 days after the alleged contravention. Can I circumvent the 28 day period based on the address being incorrect?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Yes - you should contact them and let them know about the error that they made with your address and also provide them with evidence in respect of the error and your correct address.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello.I'm afraid the answer above is wrong. Have you already appealed? If not, please do not until we have looked at this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you have then what are the grounds?

Related Traffic Law Questions