Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is a bus lane rendered ilegal if the signage on a side road

Is a bus lane rendered ilegal if the signage on a side road on the left of the bus lane is covered in ivy and barely visible?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.
There has been case law on this point.
Inadequacy of signs is a challenge to any fine but the inadequacy has to be such as to confuse the reasonably observant motorist. Bearing in mind that there are tapered line road markings upon entry and lettered road markings throughout it becomes hard to argue that it fits this bill.
The fact that the council don't accept the signs are inadequate doesn't the Adjudicator won't of course but you should be aware it is a high test with bus lanes in particular.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand your 3rd paragraph - could you rephrase it please. What is a 'high test'? Is your letter written by typing or is it a translation of your verbal advice? Thank you. Please advise me, if I called you on the phone would the advice be more expensive.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. The test is a high one. I'm not sure how to rephrase it. It is not easy to do.A phone call does rack up the charge and, in fairness, this is something that is simple enough to sort out online. you don't need to go to the additional expense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo. I have rated you only 3 star although you have basically answered my question. Irrespective of the 'high test' your third paragraph doesn't really make sense. "The fact that the council don't accept the signs are inadequate doesn't the Adjudicator won't of course but you should be aware it is a high test with bus lanes in particular" Is there some punctuation missing? Don't bother to answer if it is going to cost me! Best regards