Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My son is the registered keeper/owner of a van which he lends

Customer Question

My son is the registered keeper/owner of a van which he lends to a self-employed subcontractor (SC) who drives it on his own insurance. SC bumped into a parked car causing minor damage,exchanged details and sent a text asking for a quote; he heard nothing in response and assumed further action was not being pursued. My son was contacted and supplied the drivers details as required. He was therefor astounded receive a summons for the cost of repairs/legal costs on the basis that he had permitted "his employee or servant" to drive recklessly. He believes he has discharged his duties by supplying the driver's details, which SC had himself done, but is there a legal loophole making him responsible? SC still has access to the exchange of texts.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is the legislation on the summons sheet?