Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Highways Act 1980

Customer Question

Hello, I would be most grateful if you could tell me whether a police force in England are not legally responsible in anyway for investigating matters relating to and/or enforcing s148 and s161 of the Highways Act 1980? Thank you.

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what exactly is the issue you are inquiring about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, have the police have any legal responsibility in relation to the two sections of the Act outlined because my local police force state they have no duty.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If this is an issue of causing an obstruction then the police can enforce that.
They do often refuse. There isn't really a good reason that I have ever discovered. I rather suspect the real reason is that they are too busy investigating false allegations of minor sexual offences from the 1970s and mediating relationship disputes that we euphemistically call 'domestic abuse' to deal with any proper crime or pastoral work. Unless you are a long term professional victim you get no priority at all from the modern police force. Being a person who brings crime upon yourself by placing yourself at risk seems to be the only way to be given attention by the authorities which is very interesting because such people have rarely paid a penny in tax. But there you have it.
The local council do also ticket for causing an obstruction but the police know perfectly well that they do have authority to act. If they are choosing not to do so then they had better commit that to writing so that you can complain to a more senior officer.
I don't criticise the police for being busy. I do criticise them for giving priority to domestic nonsense and fantasy that they call 'sexual abuse'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo, thank you for being so candid and I couldn't agree more!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and it is about time the community stopped accepting their place as second fiddle to professional victims who either continually return to their abuses or wait twenty years to complain something has happened to them.
Proper people who pay tax should get priority over women who apparently prefer abuse to freedom.
Don't put up with this.