Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My husband and I changed our car ownership from his name

Customer Question

Hi, my husband and I changed our car ownership from his name to my name so I am now the legal owner, however, we didn't change the insurance policy. That remains as him as the legal owner and I'm the named driver,will this make any difference if we were to have an accident and needed to claim?
Regards ***** *****
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you.This is usually a change you need to notify - it's a material difference which may result in the insurer refusing to indemnify and worse still if the policy is voided you could be prosecuted for driving without insurance. It's best, ***** ***** inform the insurance company of the change of ownership and update the policy.