Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Caught speeding at 107mph on a dual carriageway

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as per title caught at 107mphI am guilty no defence at all.Please could you tell me my optionsI do drive for a living. Obviously keeping my licence would be the best outcome.To do this will I need to attend court with a solicitor?Or is this possible by letter.Would appearing be better or worse?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I presume the speed limit was 70 mph?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Dual Carriageway.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If this is 107mph in a 70 mph zone then normally you would be facing 6 points and a fine or an outright ban for a short time. I would normally expect 6 points on a first offence unless it is aggravated for some reason. Generally speaking, you do get better deals if you attend and mitigate in person although there are exceptions. You can use a solicitor to mitigate but you won’t get legal aid so there will be a cost. There is a risk of a short ban from which you cannot hide. It is not particularly likely but it could happen. To avoid that normally you need to be emphasising the shortness of any distance driven at speed, the absence of heavy traffic, the clarity of the weather conditions and visibility. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A short ban wouldn't be the end of the world for me. In a bizarre way I'd almost prefer that. But you say points and a fine is the most likely outcome?I do not wish to attend court particularly, in your experience will this be manadatory?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a short ban can be better. You get your licence back clean. The ban does have a horrendous effect on insurance though.They will probably summons you for consideration of disqualification. You don't commit a bail act offence if you don't answer a summons though. It is a contempt of court but it isn't prosecuted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So in conclusion
Court + points. Is the most likely outcome?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and a fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pesky things hang around on your license like a bad smell.Don't do the crime if you can't do the time as they say.Thank you.