75100385

In June last year I parked in a Staples Car Park which was

In June last year I parked in a Staples Car Park which was has 60 minutes free parking. I overstayed by about 20 minutes while I visited another store. Since then I have received at least 3 Parking Charge Notices from G24 which I have ignored (having taken some advice). I also received a few Debt Recovery Letters from two "different" companies which appears to be working together. These were also ignored under the same rationale.
Now I have received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors saying that G24 Ltd has instructed them to recover the parking charge of £160 (originally £60 but had been increasing as letters were coming through the door).
They also say "our client may now instruct us to take legal action against you in the County Court." and that to prevent this I should pay up in full within 14 days of the letter which I received today (29th) even though the letter is dated 22/03/2016!
It also says in the letter that additional costs associated with issuing a claim will apply in the case of a judgement being obtained totalling £202.25. The breakdown is as follows:
Claim Issue Fee: £25
Solicitor's Costs for Issue of Claim: £50
Judgement Costs: £25
Warrant Issue Fee: £100
Solicitor's Costs for Issue of Warrant:£2.25
Lastly, the letter states that a judgement registered against me could seriously affect my chances of obtaining credit in the future as this information can be made available to any interested parties via the Register of Judgements, Orders and Fines, and will remain there for 6 years.
I really do not want to pay this fine but I would rather pay the £160 than have those ridiculous costs added up on top! I'm unsure of what to do next particularly because I don't know whether there is a lot of truth to this letter or whether part of it is hogwash, and I've been misinformed of proper due diligence.
I feel the jig is up and I should just pay but I'd like to know where I stand at the moment as far as the law is concerned.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Sadly you are liable. There was a Parking Eye case last year which went to the Supreme Court which said that the owner would be liable.So if you went to Court you would lose and face more costs. As such I would sadly pay up.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have the name of this case please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Here is the decision:https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.htmlParkingEye Limited (Respondent) v Beavis (Appellant)Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Thanks. Alex