Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was convicted of speeding over Tower Bridge on

I was convicted of speeding over Tower Bridge on 30/11/2015 and, as well as my fine, had to pay the excessive court fees that were put in place by the government (and then dropped after a few months). Under these rules you had to pay £180 (on top of court costs+fine+ 'victim surcharge') if you pleaded guilty. If you pleaded NOT guilty but were found guilty the fees were elevated to £1200. For this reason I, like many others, pleaded guilty and my total fine and expenses came to £455. Since then the government have abolished the new fee structure (end of 2015) as so many magistrates resigned over it. I have written to the court asking that they now drop these fees that were levied against me. Their response has been to send me a letter outlining the appeals procedure for making an appeal 'out of time.' My concern is that this is a lengthy procedure and that, as the letter points out, I could recieve an even hasher sentance than at first imposed. I was hoping they would just drop £180 off the bill.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you can appeal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm assuming I can at least apply to appeal since they sent me the forms. I was hoping they would just retrospectively waive the now abandoned court fee but they just sent me the appeal forms. I would just be appealing the fees . Can I do it by post though or would I have to go the whole 9 yards and appear in court all over again?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no prospect of that I'm afraid.At the time that you were sentenced the court charge was in place and it will not be removed because the law has now changed.The very highest you could achieve is that they would sentence afresh but then you would face increased costs to cover the appeal.You would have to appear in court again Im afraid.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thanks for your advice. Why did they not explain that in the first place? I just wrote and asked.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Because court staff are not legally qualified.