Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been caught on the m25 at 4am in the morning

Customer Question

I have been caught for speeding on the m25 at 4am in the morning by camera number 5563A. This is an unlit section of the motorway and this particular device is a miniature yellow painted camera, hidden amongst the superstructure of the gantry, on the clockwise carriageway, close to the tunnel before the M11 exit.
I believe there was a previous challenge concerning motorway cameras, following which camera devices were to be made as visual as those used on A roads. Having looked carefully at the Essex section of the M25, between the M11 and A10 junctions there appears to be many small identical grey painted cameras mounted on gantries and information posts. However on closer inspection 2 gantries on both the clockwise and counter clockwise carriageways have 2 sets of yellow painted cameras, hidden amongst the vertical gantry superstructure.
Can you please confirm whether in your opinion these semi hidden stealth cameras are enforceable
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they are. It is not just in my opinion. It is the state of the law.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no obligation to highlight the presence of a detection device at all in the UK. There never has been. It is a complete myth.What they cannot do is hide the speed limit signs in any way. That would give rise to a challenge.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The ACPO guidelines do say that these devices should not be hidden but ACPO guidelines are not law I'm afraid.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The only issue is whether or not the limits were clear or not varied and whether you were travelling in excess of them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you?Jo