Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My son was caught speeding on the M5 & M4, on two

My son was caught speeding on the M5 & M4, on two cameras which were 3 minutes apart. One clocked him at 81mph the other at 84. 2 notices have been sent. Can these be treated as one offence? If so, do we have to contest the fines & go to court? How should we proceed? He has a clean licence,
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.They are two separate offences. He passed two separate points of enforcement I'm afraid.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
These were two separate motorways.The only way to argue that point is to effectively suggest it was one continuous act of speeding without him ever slowing down and that is driving without due care and attention and not just speeding so there isnt really much to be gained I'm afraid.Nobody has actually ever appealed on that point and I suppose it is for that tactical reason. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Each one offers him a speed awareness course alternative. Can he accept both?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
but they will withdraw one when they realise that there are two. He may as well accept both until they do. It might be a good idea to enclose a covering letter explaining as they will find it in the end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Just to clarify. He accepts and agrees he was speeding on both occasions, ticks the speed awareness course option and sends same covering letter of explanation for both offences?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is what I would do. He doesn't have to send a covering letter but they will find it in the end anyway so he may as well bring it to their attention. He will get a lot of credit for doing so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.