Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo I was stopped on 9th May by a police officer with a

Hi Jo
I was stopped for speeding on 9th May by a police officer with a mobile speed gun. I have not yet received a notice although I was given a verbal warning at the time saying I could be given a course etc.
Is there a time limit?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You mean for a summons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I presume so. Not sure of the procedure. He advised they might just send me a warning, a course, 3 points or court summons.Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. What was the speed and what was the limit ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a 30mph limit and I was doing 53mph but they said as it was on a dual carriageway that would be taken into account and that I was probably slightly over the limit for a course but they would recommend that.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that they could give you a course. It would not be appropriate on the sentencing guidelines but they do act at variance with those sometimes when it suits them.

Otherwise though I'm afraid it would be within the highest sentencing bracket which would attract 6 points or a short ban. A ban is not going to happen so it would be points.

There would also be a fine, costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo. and what is the time limit to hear? Also who is the victim as it was just a police speed camera?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They have to lay an information before the court within six months of the offence.

There isn't a victim. I suppose the only aggrieved party is the Crown with this type of offence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - so basically I have to wait 6 months to see. I thought there was a 14 days notice period for speeding offences?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not if you were stopped at scene. The rules are they have to issue a postal NIP within 14 days or a verbal one at the scene.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the a normal time period or just wait and see? My sister had one before that never went anywhere
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They do forget to summons sometimes.

Also, sometimes they do use the entire six months and sometimes it is much quicker. It depends upon the area and how busy they are really.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I will just keep my fingers crossed then!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.