propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

A vehicle was left outside my daughters house without moving

Customer Question

A vehicle was left outside my daughters house without moving for nearly a year, the road tax ran out at the end of Sept 2014 and the owner passed away at the end of Dec of the same year leaving no relatives. I applied for ownership of the vehicle in June 2015 and was issued a V5 log book by the DVLA, would my actions be considered theft.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nigel

Thanks for your question.

Theft is the appropriation of someone else's property with the intention to permanently deprive the owner of it.

You have stated that the owner died in Dec 2014. Therefore the car formed part of the deceased's estate.

Therefore potentially this may apply as this could affect the beneficiaries of the deceased's estate.

I hope this helps

Paul