Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

If a resident working abroad returns to s parents house (s

Customer Question

if a resident working abroad returns to his parents house (his normal residence) for a week and hires a car,then puts 3 visitor passes on the vehicle for the day, each pass covering 3 hours, have the council the right to fine him citing the car must be removed for two hours following the 3 hour period. what happens if someone has an ill relative and comes to stay in similar circumstances do they also have to leave there relation every 3 hours
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is the maximum parking for three hours?

Within the confines of that pass?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 hours per permit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although it says on the current permit you have to leave for two hours ,this was not always the case and residents have never thought it applied to the situations I described. in fact many have used two or three passes on days when they have had family or friends staying
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In that case, they are right I'm afraid.

This is an extension of the 'feeding the meter' argument.

When your pass time runs out you are under a duty to leave. You cannot place another pass on lawfully or add more money to the meter should that apply.

The reason it rarely applies is that it is near impossible for the council to prove that people have done this. If they can in this case then it falls away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the fact they have changed the parking permit lettering without notification not make any difference
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not in this case unless the first permit would have covered you at the time of fining.

Even then it would only provide a defence if they had done that without notifying.