How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 69364
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a resident working abroad returns to s parents house (s

Customer Question

if a resident working abroad returns to his parents house (his normal residence) for a week and hires a car,then puts 3 visitor passes on the vehicle for the day, each pass covering 3 hours, have the council the right to fine him citing the car must be removed for two hours following the 3 hour period. what happens if someone has an ill relative and comes to stay in similar circumstances do they also have to leave there relation every 3 hours
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Is the maximum parking for three hours?

Within the confines of that pass?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3 hours per permit
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
although it says on the current permit you have to leave for two hours ,this was not always the case and residents have never thought it applied to the situations I described. in fact many have used two or three passes on days when they have had family or friends staying
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

In that case, they are right I'm afraid.

This is an extension of the 'feeding the meter' argument.

When your pass time runs out you are under a duty to leave. You cannot place another pass on lawfully or add more money to the meter should that apply.

The reason it rarely applies is that it is near impossible for the council to prove that people have done this. If they can in this case then it falls away.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
does the fact they have changed the parking permit lettering without notification not make any difference
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Not in this case unless the first permit would have covered you at the time of fining.

Even then it would only provide a defence if they had done that without notifying.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H


    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm
  • /img/opt/shirt.png LondonlawyerJ's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a solicitor with particular expertise in road traffic law.