Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Late licensing penelty

Customer Question

late licensing penelty
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

I have made an offer as you requested.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have already paid 26 pound is the phone call going to cost me more
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes.

Or we can carry on online?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok will carry on on line thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Ok. So how can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could not respond to the letters sent to me because i was not in England from the 21st Nov 2015 until 22 nd May 2016 I contacted them straight away on arriving home and told them the situation taxed my car as i was told to do after been told that every thing would then be ok.I have copy of the letter sent to them as requested
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I've read the facts.

What is your question about this please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can be done if anything
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Did you send the SORN recorded delivery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i did the SORN on line they must have received it for them to send me a letter asking me to confirm the car was off the road
I had taxed the car at the beginning of Nov 2015 so with the car been taxed from 1st Nov they would not be wanting to know if it was off the road unless i had put a SORN on the car
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Ok.

Did you send the confirmation recorded delivery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could not send confirmation to there request because it was dated at the beginning of Dec and i was not in England at the time
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Ok. That will be their issue then.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

In those circumstances, I can't really give you good news.

The reality is that you didn't comply with their request so the vehicle wasn't SORNed. I realise you were abroad but these are offences of strict liability and there is caselaw that says that a person abroad should keep tabs on their post in the UK.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You can always ask them to review the public interest of this prosecution. Maybe they will. Maybe not.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You are obviously taking a risk though as you would have to go to court to do that and then if you lost you would end up paying far more than £80.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No but thank you for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

No problem.

All the best.