Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was caught by a static camera speeding with no licence and

Customer Question

I was caught by a static camera speeding with no licence and no insurance. What are the consequences?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

How do they know it was you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got a letter from police asking me to identify the rider of that motorbike. It was me. The provisional licence expired 2 weeks ago, and in my stupidity i went out on a big bike riding it with zero insurance and zero licence. My sister just died, I have no relatives left, everything was upside down. Still is. So now on top of everything i'm thinking the worst, I'm thinking that i did was so wrong that i will go to jail.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, the provisional licence was ok, still is, the CBT expired 2 weeks ago
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i already have 4 points on the provisional one which i held it for 4 years, from a previous speeding.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the speeding in this case was 39 in a 30 limit
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

The will probably prosecute you for driving with no licence, no insurance and maybe speeding too.

The no licence and no insurance would normally lead to 6 points or a ban.
I would actually expect 6 points here although an outright ban might serve you better in the long run.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You don't have a full licence so you can't be revoked under the new drivers scheme.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

But you would then get 10 points on your licence for three years and at least with a short ban you would be clean immediately.

This doesn't carry custody.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jo, what is the worst outcome? I am sorry but i'm trying to get some hope here. Someone told me that i will go to jail and that made me very anxious. Ban, fines, points? how big the fine will be, i read that for no insurance which seems to be the most aggravated one is unlimited so they can fine me whatever they want? If they decide points and fine, will i end up in court? Do i need to be present in court? How long the ban can be, what is maximum?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Well, it depends what you prefer.

Either you will end up with 10 points on your licence or there will be a short ban. Which is worse depends on your circumstances.

There is an unlimited fine but it is a percentage of your income.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You think i will end up in court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Oh yes, it will. There is no other way of dealing these offences realistically.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do i need to be present? Do i need a solicitor?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you will be summonsed.

A solicitor will be helpful but you won't get legal aid and it will rack up cost.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What's the worst what can happen? Can i go to jail for that?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

This doesn't carry custody.

Well, it depends what you prefer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What will happen with my provisional licence if i get 12 points and what will happened if i get banned? Will i be able to do my full test as i intended to do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

If you get 12 points you will be banned for totting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What does that means? What do i need to do in case i will be ban for totting to be able to ride again?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

.