Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My son received 2 speeding fines, at the beginning of June,

Hi, my son received 2 speeding fines, at the beginning of June, they were within minutes of each other, and he was driving 36mph in a 30mph zone. When the letters arrived he was in Ghana volunteering at an orphanage, and didn't see them until he returned home on 6th July. They needed to be paid ASAP. He quickly read the letters and opted to go on the speed awareness course for the first, and paid the conditional offer of £100 and 3 penalty points on the other. Unfortunately in his haste, he didn't realise that he had to send in his licence. He has now received a single notice procedure. Is there anything he can do to stop this? He genuinely didn't know it had to be sent in. Can you advise him on his next step please?.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

you mean to avoid the court summons?

What was the date of speeding?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
31st may
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the information

He can always write to them making representations about the public interest of this prosecution. However, it would be unrealistic of me to suggest that is likely to work.

Come what may, he couldn't be given the fixed penalty or speed awareness course because he didn't send his licence in. They are going to be out of time in November to prosecute this so they will be concerned about getting a resolution one way or another. I have never known them revert to a fixed penalty when a summons has already been issued I'm afraid.

It is mitigation that he tried to accept the fixed penalty though.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He already paid his £100 fixed penalty, he paid ii online I think.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, but he didn't send the licence in so they couldn't add points.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He went on speed awareness for his earlier speeding. Then paid his £100 for the second. He has got the single justice procedure for failing to send his licence in.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand that, but it was a genuine mistake, he didn't realise he had to send it in. It was all done in a rush, when he returned from abroad.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I understand.

That does not change the position.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. So he will have to plead guilty, and pay another fine?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, but the £100 already paid will be either refunded or deducted from the fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/