Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I live in a residential area in Chelsea, London. Opposite us

I live in a residential area in Chelsea, London. Opposite us is a huge construction site which has been going on for the last two years. Several times we have had lorries parked outside our building with their engines running, which not only pollutes the air, but also they literally pump carbon dioxide into our basement.
I have asked the Forman politely several times not to let this happen as I know its against the law - today it happened again and I lost my temper. The Forman is very indifferent to my request to move the lorries elsewhere while they are waiting to get into the site.
What do you suggest I do?
Sarah
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello Sarah my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know whether you have reported this to the Council at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dear Jamie,
I haven't as yet reported this to the council. What will they do? They always seem too busy to respond and nothing gets done. I have reported building lorries/vans parking on Permit Parking areas to collect site rubbish and nothing was done and it still continues.
I really don't want to spend more on a telephone conversation when I am sure you can answer my question via email.
Sarah

Ok -report it to the Council, they could serve a noise abatement notice.

Of you can seek an injunction that they limit or stop the noise. You would need to complete forms N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

And form N16a

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n016a-eng.pdf

The court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to give an injunction. If the court does and they break it, this would be contempt of Court and they could be warned, fined or sent to prison

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Jamie, I will see what the Council suggest and if necessary fill in the forms.
I will come back to you if I don't have any success.
Sarah

All the best Sarah. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!