Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Advice please on UKCPS parking ticket and several letters,

Advice please on UKCPS parking ticket and several letters, Ihave ignored them since received in November 2014. Just received a Payment demand Notice from Miah Solicitors for £160 (the one last year stated £275) Halfway down the letter it states "This letter before action....." Previous advice on another parking issue from Jo C (Barrister) on here in 2013 was to ignore all communications with them. Has the situation changed since then? What is your advice?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

hello i can help

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

what are the circumstances please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo, In November 2014, I got a notice to keeper through the post for £100 stating that I had not paid the £60 for failure to display a ticket on the dash. There was no parking notice on my car at that time for me to pay and I park there almost daily so I am used to the sytem there and would not have done this. The tickets are plain paper with no sticky so they do blow off the dash when you close the door. I would have kept the ticket as proof but I did not know about any notice, so I didn't.
I was never given a chance to pay £60.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you prepared to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really, what are the consequences either way
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the only way to avoid that for certain is to pay in full.

The truth is they could sue. They probably will not. Solicitors letters are just part of their collection procedure. It is just a letter before action. That doesn't mean they will sue. It is not very cost effective to do so.

However, they could. You cannot hide from that. If they do you can always put them to proof. Some people just cannot cope with the pressure though. If that is your position then the only way to avoid that is to pay in full.

There has been no substantial change in the law though. They always have had a case against you. It is just not one that is cost effective to bring.