Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

In a Personal Injury case- what would be a usual percentage

In a Personal Injury case- what would be a usual percentage to discount the total suggested JSB guideline value of it, given that the multiple injuries sustained ran concurrently?I was involved in a car accident 3 and half years ago sustaining a fractured sternum and soft tissue injuries to neck, back, shoulder, further bruising and travel phobia. The other driver was on the wrong side of the road and they have accepted fault. I have received an evaluation from counsel of the value of my case placing the quantum for the above injuries at between £12,500- £15,000. Counsel has also evaluated these individually according to JSB guidelines and on such a basis the mid range total would come to, around £23,200 (which assumes according to counsel that the neck and back injuries will be treated as one ). The mid range figure suggested by counsel therefore for settlement comes to £13,800 representing a discount of around 40% for the fact that the injuries were concurrent. Whilst I understand that such an adjustment is to be expected for the fact of concurrent injuries, can you tell me what type of percentage range is usual in this situation and where 40 percent sits on it, i.e. high medium or low?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  JGM replied 8 months ago.

Is this Scots law or English law? It's not clear from the post.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
English law.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with his.

It can range from 10% right through to 50%. I do not think 40% is unreasonable.

A Judge will take an overall view of the most significant injury and add a smaller additional sum for further injuries that are related to the index accident.

Therefore 40% is not an unreasonable figure.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thank you! Could you just clarify for me- what factors would a judge take into account when deciding on a percentage between 10-50% ?

Its a long list of things, such as severity, how closely linked (ie neck or back), what type of injury etc

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor