Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I live in Pitsea SS13 2EQ and my application for a kerb drop

Customer Question

I live in Pitsea SS13 2EQ and my application for a kerb drop was rejected in spite of several appeals in writing on the basis that the distance to the walkway is 4.7 metres instead of 5.0 metres. Only trouble is that nearly everyone else on this road has a kerb drop already even when their distances measure far shorter than mine. Indeed, both my immediate neighbours to my right and my left both have kerb drops in spite of having same distances as mine to the walkway, and therefore have the luxury of private parking at their properties, a privilege I can only dream of.
I am not a moaner and would have been ok parking on the road by my property at any time, the only problem is that the average number of cars per homestead here is 3 to 4 cars while I only have one. Those with kerb drops park in their reserved packing areas and then park their other cars right in front of my house, which is perfectly legal, leaving me no place to park. I have to park my car hundreds of metres away and walk home with my baby and shopping in hand as a result of discriminatory rules whose purpose seems only to foment animosity amongst neighbours and result in ominously poor road safety conditions.
When the cars are parked off road, there is clear visibility all the way through and drivers can anticipate attempts of pedestrians trying to cross the road. When the cars are parked on the road however, they obscure pedestrians trying to cross the road and this gives drivers very limited time to react.
Some neighbours with garages here have converted them to living quarters and instead park their multiple cars in the limited places left, which are obviously up for grabs by every one. This is a serious problem that needs to be sorted out by the Council by approving kerb drops to those with reasonable spaces and create a level playing field.
Can you offer any help to get this message across and ensure the Council uses common sense in decision making to deal with this very thorny issue?
disgusted resident ***@******.***
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Would you mind summarising your question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, there seems to be no justification whatsoever in denying me the right to have a kerb drop
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Aren't they saying you don't meet the distance criteria?