Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hiya, I lost a backpack with personal ID, driving license,

Hiya,I lost a backpack with personal ID, driving license, bank cards and a video camera as well as clothing and some washing liquids and makeup in it.My parents and I were travelling on the 9:05pm 13th August chiltern railway train from london marylebone to oxford. We forgot to take the bag with us when we went off the train at Oxford. We were pretty sure it was on the train by the time we left Oxford station.I went to look for the lost bag the next day at the london marylebone station and oxford station, neither has found the lost item.In this process, I was told by the oxford station that I should go ask london marylebone station but I was told by chiltern railway that oxford station as managed by great western railway should perform a security check of the train at the destination station. This means the oxford station should find the lost bag on the day the situation happened.Now oxford station was saying that I couldnt make sure the bag is still there by the time we got off at the oxford station hence they asked me to call the transportation police to track the bag via cctv between london Marylebone and oxford.I have tried to call the police several several times but nobody answers.I feel like oxford station should be partly responsible for the bag being missing because they didnt perform a security check of the train by the time it got to the station so they didnt box in the missing item. Do I have a case -- shall I sue Oxford station or otherwise what shall I do now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry but you don't have a case against anybody except the person who retained your bag.

Nobody is liable but them.

Oxford station are not liable because they did not cause this loss.

Come what may, you lost the item and it's contents. These things happen but it is not the fault of the venue.

I'm very sorry but that is a reality.

Venues are not liable unless they actually take possession of goods and therefore become bailees.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What shall I do now -- shall I call somebody to continue looking for the item?The quickest way would be via CCTV but transportation police wont pick up.. Is there any other way to obtain access to the C CTV?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

You could make a subject access request I suppose.

But that will only show that somebody has removed your bag. That is no use unless you can identify the person.

To be wholly honest, I'm afraid this is likely to be wasted effort.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its best if I still do that.How to get a subject access request ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you see the thing is the bank card in the missing item is yet not being used by somebody -- I have checked with my bank.This means I only want to know where this bag is removed by someone -- I still assume at some station it is treated as a lost property I just need to know which railway company has it now so I can contact them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

A subject access request (SAR) is simply a written request made by or on behalf of an individual for the information which he or she is entitled to ask for under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). The request does not have to be in any particular form.

It does have to be made to a public body but you could argue the underground is.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
wait who am i submitting this form to?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

.