Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I ahve a question regarding impounded vehicle,i have been

Customer Question

Hi,i ahve a question regarding impounded vehicle,i have been stopped for driving with no insurance and the car was seized.Its my fathers car,in his name,can we collect the vehicle on a flatbed recovery truck if he does not wish to insure it anymore?The reason for getting the car back is to sell it and pay for some expenses.Thank you
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Hi - please explain what happened when you were stopped?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been stopped for speeding,but when police did a check,car was not insured at all.I cannot get insurance for it now,and the so called impound insurance is extremely expensive.My father wants nothing to do with the car,just sell it.So,can he as a rightful owner put the car on trailer/recovery truck without buying the insurance?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You can recover the vehicle but not if it is not insured.

A flatbed recovery truck will not be adequate unless it is SORNed immediately because you have a duty to keep vehicles even off road continuously insured.

But your father can get insurance and then sell.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you,do i understand correctly if he Sorn`s the car now,he wont be able to recover it anyway? And no,he cannot get insured on the car aswell,only way is impound insurance which is expensive.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, that is right. They just wont release.

Best to get the cheapest insurance and then sell quickly.