Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

DVLA seem to be a law unto themselves by refusing to reissue

Good afternoon, my name is***** seem to be a law unto themselves by refusing to reissue my driving licence stating in the opinion of their medical team "I have a history of alcohol dependence within the past 12 months" (as set down by the secretary of state). I have the option to fight this by seeing my local magistrate, what are the prospects of disproving their findings that 12 units or less a week is excessive and constitutes misuse or dependency? I have now served 25 months of an 18 month ban, their 1st knockback was when they announced my CDT (carbohydrate deficient transferrin) blood test was too high and should reapply after 6 months, last blood test good in October 2017 but not their other medical reports apparently, told to reapply again after another 12 months. I have received copies of all the evidence DVLA used to reach their decision except for the latest CDT figure. Look forward to your reply.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Has your own GP said it’s under control?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
He is aware that I WAS a medium/heavy drinker years ago, became a heavy drinker after Feb. 2015 when my wife of 26 years died. Have only been a light drinker since ban in Sep.2015.and my GP. is pleased with the progress.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

Would your GP though say its under control?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I'm sure he would.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 28 days ago.

Then you can appeal any decision not to give the licence. The matter would be set down at the Magistrates Court and the DVLA, you and your GP would give evidence.

If your GP says its under control and poses no public risk, then you have no problem.

But it all comes down to what your GP says.

So speak to your GP first. If they are not willing to say this, then there is no point to an appeal.

If they will, then appeal the decision.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!