Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

A private car parking debt collector has sent a bill to my

a private car parking debt collector has sent a bill to my work address ( I believe a friend of the owner of the car park knows us both) a even though my private car is registered to my home address and the DVLA should give out my home address, is this against the data protection act as it has caused me distress at work?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes they have sent one letter to my home address and then two demands to my work address
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 28 days ago.

There is no reason they cannot write to the address given to them by the registered keeper.

They are not actually data controllers within the meaning of the DPA anyway I'm afraid.

In any event, they can only write to the address they were given.

I'm very sorry but the DPA has fairly limited application.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
sorry I am not really with you.
The car is registered to my home address, that is fine I understand no problem and all fines should be sent there,
But is it legal to track me down to my place of work and start sending demands to me here?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 28 days ago.

Yes, there is no reason they cannot do that.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok, thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 28 days ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/