Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I used to transport my friend around and as he was disabled

Customer Question

I used to transport my friend around and as he was disabled my car was exempt from paying the congestion charge. Unfortunately he didn't renew the registration and forgot to tell me and I went into the congestion charge zone believing I was still exempt and received a fine. I was unaware that he had not renewed whilst I was trying to contact him I went past the period of payment so the charge increased from £130 to £195. So my partner went on line and paid the charge £195 for the fine. However TFL have written and hounded me since then stating that I have not paid we have written to them supplying the authorisation number for the card payment the bank statement showing the payment, confirmation from the bank confirming
that the payment went through to their account and they just refuse to accept this. After several phone calls and letters going backwards and forwards they have now stated that they have found the payment we made but it has been allocated to another fine from 2015 that I was not aware that I owed. Can they take the payment that was paid to the congestion charge fine another fine that they have not sent me any details for chasing the payment? We are still disputing this and now today the bailiffs have turned up at my house to recover my car. I am currently in Poland and my partner is trying to sort it out. What can we do as we have paid the bill. My partner has spoken to the bailiff and he has confirmed that he cannot do anything and will return after 7pm tonight and if she does not pay in full they will remove goods from my home. Please can you advise what we can do they are asking for payment of £513. Many thanks David
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 24 days ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
We have made this payment what can we do to stop the bailiffs?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
We just need to know if we can stop the bailiffs re attending in 3 hours time? If we made a payment for a fine are Transport for London allowed to use this payment for something else not related to the fine we have agreed to pay?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Are you able to help?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 24 days ago.

Are you ready now?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hi Jo
Trying to fill in the N244 form I have said no to attaching a draft order, do I want a decision without a hearing? It is asking for the level of Judge I need?
The claimant is TFL or the bailiff company?Many thanks Kim
Expert:  Jo C. replied 24 days ago.

District Judge.

Bailiff company.

Ideally you would ask for a decision without a hearing but the bailiffs might object.