Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Sony KDL-40W4000. The problem is on switching on the

Customer Question

I have a Sony KDL-40W4000. The problem is on switching on the screen is dark on the left side (left side of the viewer) with ghosting and lines. This initially cleared after a 10min warm-up but is now persistant. The other side of the screen is ok. There is a lot on the internet about problems with the 'timing control board'. The TV is four and half years old. Is there an economic repair or do I cut my losses and start again with a new set.
Hope you can advise
Rob Smith
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan T. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience. I'd be happy to help!

Turn the TV off and let it cool off for a while. Then grab a friend and turn the TV on. Then, apply a twisting motion to the screen (like you're wringing out a towel)... see if that will clear up the affected areas, even if it's just for a second while the pressure is applied. It's not a permanent fix, but it will help me narrow down the issue.

You can also try squeezing the TV’s bezel (plastic piece around the screen) near the affected area. Again, not as a fix… just a test.

Let me know.

Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried but could not get a twist going. i.e. no change. Preasure to the bezel did not help.

Rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dan, Test not positive. What next. Rob

Expert:  Dan T. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response, Rob.

I’ve seen this issue a lot. It’s a lot more common than it might seem.

It's being caused by faulty TABs on the TV's LCD panel (the screen assembly). A "TAB" is a tape automated bond. They're permanent connections in between the electrode layers that make up the LCD panel and the panel's electrical/signal inputs.

You said the screen used to normalize after some time. That’s because the heat generated inside the TV expanded the bonds, which forced them back into contact. When you turn it off and the TV cools, the bonds contract and the screen acts like you’re seeing (flickering, ghosting, etc.).

This is pretty bad news, I'm sorry to say. There isn't a good repair for this, except to replace the entire panel assembly and there's just no way that would be cost effective. A new panel for your TV is about $750.

There are some "homemade" DIY-style fixes out there that some people have tried. I don't do them professionally because I don’t trust them, but some of my customers find them interesting and even successful. >>Click Here<<.

If this was my TV, I would call Sony to complain. I've seen them repair or replace a couple of these, even after the warranty was expired.

Thanks for letting me assist you, even if my answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you need any clarification, fire away! If you're good to go, please remember to rate my service before leaving.

In the future, you can request me personally via >>my profile<<, so be sure to save it as a bookmark before you go.

I hope you tell your friends about JustAnswer.com, as we rely a lot on word of mouth advertising. We have thousands of experts in hundreds of categories like Medical, Legal, Auto Repair, and more.

Best,
Dan T.