Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Licensed TV repair technician in the US with over 30 experience in the US.
59014109

our panasonic led TX-L42D25BA television is acting strange,

Customer Question

our panasonic led TX-L42D25BA television is acting strange, sometimes it comes on no
problem, other times, the red light when switched on flickers and the green light doesn't come on, another time the green light then flickers and won't connect to virgin or free style
is it just the switch or something more serious - I have changed batteries in the remote
control but that hasn't helped.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hmm, I would suggest unplugging the TV's power cord for about 20 minutes to make sure the micro resets itself first, then see if the red light or green light seems to flicker IF you are not pressing any buttons. Usually the flickering tells you that your remote or your TV's power button is sending a signal to the micro and it's recieving it. But if your TV doesn't respond to it, yet holding down the button makes it start up and actually run fine....then it's related to a system control issue.

Do you have any USB or SD cards presently inserted into it? Remove them if you do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't have any sub or sd cards inserted into it.

what does a system control issue mean?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

It means the TV set's micro isn't booting up or sending out power on commands to make the other boards inside your TV set come alive.

We know your TV turns on....it's just not doing it reliably each time you press the power button.

Because of that, we need to make sure it's getting good solid power to the micro, and that the micro is sending out good solid commands or not.

And that's also why you make sure the TV's power cord has been unplugged and any USB or SD cards aren't installed. The SD cards especially, because there's a small switch inside those slots where the switch goes bad and it FORCES the TV to not come on until the switch is released. Do you have an SD card slot, and have you ever inserted an SD card in it to view pictures or anything like that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is an SD card slot but has never been used

I have used the computer connection slot but not

in the past six months

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to log off now - will check your reply tomorrow it is taking too long.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, sorry about that. I wanted to check the most common problems we see when your TV works fine, but totally ignores you pushing the power button.

We're dealing with either a bad micro or bad power going to the micro.

If you weren't pressing any buttons on your remote or TV front panel, and you saw that flashing, I would have suspected a bad button making constant contact on your remote or the TV set. But that's not the symptoms you described.

So I'm looking at the fact the TV does work fine a lot of the time, but not 100% of the time. It's telling me your micro isn't starting up.

Think of it like this. You ever have days you start up your computer and it doesn't boot up correctly? Then you have to shut it down and restart it to make it work? Your TV is behaving about the same way, and checking to see if the SD card slot being used has ever occurred previous to this problem. I've had a couple lock up the TV set like your's is.

I think I better check and see if you want to repair your own TV set, or if you'd prefer to leave that responsibility to an electronic engineer. While your problem revolves around a 5 volt power supply that runs your micro, and we need to test that with a digital voltmeter, it may not be something you are comfortable with.

So I think I may need to get a better understanding of what you want to do at this point in time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Having not been able to solve my problem do I get a refund?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Obviously, as you are unable to help me solve this problem I will have to get an engineer out to sort this for me.