TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Product is LE32R51BD. Letter received from Samsung re possible

Customer Question

Product is LE32R51BD. Letter received from Samsung re possible need to retune after 6 am 29th May as broadcast frequencies were changing. The set appeared to retune automatically but a number of channels were missing. Hence carried out a retune as per manual. Fault has persisted. Most noticeable is that channels 1 to 10 and 80 are not present. Have repeated several times. Picture is good and nothing else appears to be wrong.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

There's a couple issues I have seen. The first one is that while they state they are changing on the 29th, I have seen customers have to wait up to 3 days later to get it retuned and lock all their channels in. I suspect part of this situation to be the fact that they have to change the tranmitter's oscillator, change the PSIP coding on their TV channel they transmit on so your TV set knows what the channel number is and places it in the list of channels that you see appear on your guide.

The other issue I see is HOW the channels are changed in the customer's menu.

Some people will "add digital channels" some will perform a "full autoscan" of channels, others will activate the PLUG and PLAY mode while they are in TV (not video) mode and usually that last one is the one that works the best.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Try the Plug and Play. If you still don't get those channels, you may want to try it Friday or even Saturday, giving the TV stations some time to complete their changovers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There appears to be no plug and play facility. Since I contacted you the situation has changed somewhat. Some of the missing channels have appeared whilst others have now disappeared! I think this points towards a problem at the transmitter as you suggested. I will therefore wait a couple of days or so and then contact you. Incidentally the tuning was done in auto mode.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Plug and Play mode is only active if you are tuned into a TV station using your Samsung remote control. It should be available when you press the Menu button and access the menu.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All OK now. It was just a question of waiting!

Thanks again

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, that's kind of a rule I have about retuning. My rule is to ignore the changeover date, wait about 3 days after they suggest a rescan, then activate the Plug and Play or full autoscan. Both of those will clear out the old channel data, reload new channel data and get your TV in sync with the TV transmitters delivering the new data to your TV set.

The problem is I see the possibility that the 3 day waiting period may cause you to miss some of your favorite TV shows. But that rule I have seems to work quite reliably.