Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Licensed TV repair technician in the US with over 30 experience in the US.
59014109

I have a very old tv that i am using will my current one in

Customer Question

I have a very old tv that i am using will my current one in for repairs. i think it is a Toshiba VTV 2056. The problem is I have a HD video game that i want to play but the screen size becomes too big, filling the screen but there are certain things that i can't make out right at the corner. how do i change the screen size.

Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you,

Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Have you tried to reduce video output resolution of that HD video game or does it have any control / option to do so?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There does not seem to be an option to change this on the video game. I'm using a play station 3. Will I need to change the settings on the console itself?

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Farai for the reply.
Yes, need to change PS3 video output resolution and set it to lowest so TV can process its video signal. Please check PS3 setting option for video output settings.
Please post back how it went.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The two resolution types are 16:9 and 4:3. Neither are able to show me the full screen. Does connection via scart or just av cables make a difference?

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.

AV cable is for lowest video resolution (480) and usually scart has component video connection that is higher resolution (720).
Please check PS3 setting menu for video output resolution like 1080, 720 or 480 etc and select 480 option.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have selected 480 but it is still too big. My tv is the old box type so it does not seem to change in settings.

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
OK, it seems TV has internal problem.
Can you please connect DVD player or any video source in TV to check its picture size appears normal or still too big?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Everything else is fine. It is just this game that cannot let me see the images fully at the bottom of the screen.

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I'm running out of ideas what else we can do to get correct size picture in TV, please allow me to opt out that will open the question for other online TV experts input on this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thank you for you help.

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, I'm opting out now.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is Aric and I am a different expert here.

What cables are you using right now to connect the PS3 to the TV?