Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have had a large screen LG TV for five years or so. Excellent

Customer Question

I have had a large screen LG TV for five years or so. Excellent set, never had any problems. Last evening, however, it wouldn't switch on using the TV remote. Changed the batteries in the remote - still the same. I then switched the set on manually, pressed the top right hand button on the Sky controller to switch the Sky box on and instead it switched the TV set off. This has now happened several times. Any ideas?

PIP
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is the sky remote also programmed to operate the tv ?
Can you turn the tv on/off with the sky remote ?
Does the tv remote work any functions once the tv is on ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the SKY remore just operates the on/off of the Skybox

No, although at one time I could turn on the TV by pressing both buttons at the top of the SKY remote

No, the TV remote doesn't operate anything. The TV doesn't seem to recognise it at all.

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
O.k then at this point it would seem that the sky remote does send a on/off command to the tv at times , hence the tv turning off while it is on ,perhaps make sure that the sky remote is in sky mode not tv mode before using it by pressing the sky button first.

Right now the more pressing item seems to be your TV's remote and we would need to find out if the remote itself or the TV's remote sensor is at fault ?

Do you happen to have a cell phone camera,webcam or any camera that has a display or screen to test your remote?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. I have an i-phone, though. Can I use the camera on this?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Yes you should be able to use it although for some reason the test sometimes does not work with a Iphone , give it a try anyway and if it doesn`t seem to work then try the test with a known working remote (sky remote for example)

Here is how to test your remote;
Turn on the camera and point the front of the remote at the camera lens ,then while looking at the remote through the screen press buttons on the remote.
If the remote is working, you should see light coming out the front of it while looking at it through the camera screen.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doesn't seem to be any light coming from the remote when I look through the camera. Tried the tv remote again and it doesn't work anything at all. Can't even switch the set off.

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k then that does not look good for the remote itself ,especially since the tv does respond to the sky remote at times, it would mean that the remote sensor on the tv is fine and beside the test it would also indicate that the TV's remote is defective.
You could still have it tested at a local repair shop though if you want to confirm that, they usually will do it for free but the camera test usually does it well.

I could find you an original remote for your tv but I would need your TV's model number ?
This would be written on the back cover or owner`s manual

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THe model numbers on the front of the manual are 1 9LS4D*

and 2 2LS4D*. If you can get one that would be great.

My address is: The Mint House, Nut Ash LAne, Headley, Surrey KT18 6QA. How much will I oe you?

PIP BURLEY

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
Actually I will find an address/link where you can order one , I cannot send it to you myself.
Be right back with this address.
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Here it is, click on the link below and you can order your remote from there;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Control-LG-22LS4D/dp/B0052WVDPW

hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and note that you can get back to me at any time after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.