hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

My freeview television

Customer Question

I live in Manchester and since April I am getting interference in my freeview television. The picture and sound keeps breaking up on nearly all channels and I now get BBC wales.  I have read in the press you can get a gadget to put between the aerial and the television to stop this.  I understand the problem is something to do with 4/5g mobile phone signals.

Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me the model name or model # of your freeview television, and also whether you are viewing through a 'box' of any sort, or just getting your signal through a common antenna, etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an Acoustic Solutions LCDW22DVD95F television. Freeview is in the television through the aerial on the roof which also serves our Sky TV downstairs. We had a new 6ft aerial when the tvs went digital in our area.

Have you been using the aerial on the roof for a while without this interference showing on it?

Do you have any positive evidence that the interference is being caused by 4/5G wireless phones? television interference can be caused by many different electric and electronic devices. (I am open to evidence of any kind on this matter, which is why I ask.)

Can you give me any 'name' or other identifying information about the 4/5G filtering for TV antennas that you mentioned? I cannot find references to it offhand.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 years ago.

Hello there, here is the Freeview coverage map for the Manchester area.

If you are receiving TV from Wales, then it sounds like your roof aerial has been rotated to the South West.

If you look at your neighbours aerials are they pointing in a different direction please?

The gadget that you speak of was to filter the new 4G mobile phone signals at 800MHz.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been using the new aerial since my area went digital without all this interference. It only started in April of this year. I have no evidence about the 4g phone masts. It is just something I read in the newspaper which seem to be the answer to my problems with interference. My aerial points in the same direction as all my near neighbours.

Thank you for your reply

My gut feeling is that your problem isn't to do with 4G intereference

There is testing that is being carried out and those deemed to be affected, were notified and sent the filters. This will have affected your neighbours too. Has any neighbour said they had a filter please?

Do you have just the one TV in your home? If not does the other TV tune in the channels correctly?

Can you see if the cables & aerial are in good condition?

Normally I would suggest to retune the TV but you mention that you have done this already.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can see the cables and aerial and they are in good condition. I have not spoken to the neighbours, but my daughter who lives on The Wirrall in Merseyside is having the same problems.

We have another television in the sittingroom which is connected to Sky and we do not have any problems with it except in bad weather. What was the filter affected people were being offered? We had the new 6ft aeriel fitted when digital television came to our area which was I think 2011 and have had no problems until April/May this year.

Hello there,

The sitting room TV is getting the signal from the Sky satellite dish rather than the roof aerial in most likelihood.

The filter stopped interference at a certain frequency but you mention that you are now getting Welsh TV so it seems that something has changed with your reception.

You can read about the filter here

It would be helpful if you can chat with a neighbour so that you can compare apples with apples as it were.

Aerials are exposed to the elements and the cables can also be damaged so if your neighbour is having no problems and their aerial is pointing in the same direction as yours, then the most likely problem is that a cable or connection has come undone.

Another question is whether you have an amplifier on your aerial as that will also cause problems if signals from nearby transmitters are stronger or the amplifier itself stops working.

If your daughter is on the Wirral then she will viewing a Freeview transmitter or relay which gives her BBC North West. In Manchester you should be viewing BBC North and not BBC Wales I believe.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I give up now. Thanks for your help but I think I will be better contacting an aerial expert in my area.

Thank you for your reply

Please let me know what the aerial expert finds out.

Best regards,

hkp

Hello again

I wanted to ask you if by chance you can see BBC on channel 805 please?