Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have purchased a SHARP AQUOS LCD TV while in Malaysia The

I have purchased a SHARP AQUOS LCD TV while in Malaysia

The model number is XXXXX

It worked fine in Malaysia but when I tried to use it in England, it did not work properly.

I have tested it by playing a DVD and the sound works fine but the picture pixelates and behaves erratically.

I suspect that there maybe a regional setting that needs to be adjusted to enable it to work in England.

Please advise

Jon
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

When you press MENU on the TV itself, does the MENU display clean and clear as it should?

Alos, what is the make and model of the DVD player, and was the same one being used when you had the TV in Malaysia?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you received my responses to your initial request for more information

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
No I'm sorry I have not received your reply. Could you please resend?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The SHARP LCD TV worked fine in Malaysia.

When we returned to England, it did not work properly.

We tested it with both a direct connection to the TV aerial as well as to a FREEVIEW Box.

I was recently told that if we connected it directly to a SKY Box then it may work.

We have connected it via HDMI to the SKY Box but all we could see were alternating horizontal blue and grey lines.

The MENU displayed but the background lines were still there.

We tried to tune the TV to local TV channels by using the automatic setup option and this seemed to start searching but in the end nothing was found??

We connected the TV set to a DVD Player using another HDMI Port ( which works fine with our other UK TV set )

The sound came through clearly but the picture was pixelated and unstable.

I believe that there must be a setting inside the TV which can be adjusted to enable me to use the TV in England

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm not thinking this is a a TV setting at all, or an issue with the set not working from Malaysia to England at this stage. Before I stay on that path, with regards XXXXX XXXXX TV's internal MENU, I need to know for certain whether or not the MENU is over the lines or if the lines are over the MENU- this is very very important.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to go back and check this

It will take about 15 minutes to setup the TV again

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
No problem, and let me know what you find. Also try selecting an Input with nothing connected to it and see if those lines are present there. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have setup the TV and connected only the power cable.

The Internal Menu displays clearly at first and I am able to scroll through the various options

There are no blue and grey lines visible and the background is black.

After a few seconds the Menu Display starts to flicker,

The alternating blue and grey horizontal lines then appear but they are definitely in the background behind the Menu Display

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
The fact that the MENU display itself is starting to flicker tells us this is not related to an issue with region, or external connections and the problem is actually an internal fault with the TV itself.

Now, when you say the MENU starts to flicker, do you mean that it flickers to black/menu/black/menu, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the MENU Display flickers, the background remains constant black

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
The TV's MENU supercedes regional issues, or any other external connections so we need to figure out what could be causing this.

The mains voltage and frequency between Malaysia and Great Britain is the same (230 VAC at 50 hz), so that is not the issue.

The problem that you're having is the power suppl board in the TV- more specifically several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec and causing ripple or oscillation in the power supply. This can cause the lines you're seeing on the screen, as well as intermittent shutdown of the backlight inverters in the TV (which are responsible for lighting the LCD panel's CFFL lighting).

Unfortunately there are no resets or buttons you can press that will fix this and the set will require service.

The average cost for this type of repair, to have the capacitors testing and replaced as needed, is around $150-$200 parts and labor.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for but the set does have a hard fault internally.

If you need further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX now halfway there.

Now I need the contact details of a TV Repair Company based near Swindon in South West England that will repair the SHARP AQUOS LCD TV because SHARP UK will probably decline to service the TV as it was purchased in Malaysia and it certainly is not feasible to send it back to Malaysia for repairs.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

That's the only thing that I cannot help with because I am in the states and have no knowledge of what places there are in your area for repairs on a Sharp TV. It would not have to be an Authorized Sharp center though- any TV repair shop would be able to perform this repair. I did find the link below with several locations that perform flat screen TV repair for reference:

http://www.yell.com/s/tvs+dvd+and+video+players+repairs+and+parts-swindon-wiltshire.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I originally logged into justanswer.co.uk so I assumed that a technician who was based in the UK would be assigned to this question.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I am an expert with justanswer.co.uk because the technology, and problems with these TV's are the same across the world.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you sure about your diagnosis?

what other problems could cause the symptoms that I have observed?

If possible rank them in decreasing order of relevance

It is highly unlikely that the TV was damaged while being shipped to the UK as it was well crated by the removal company and there does not seem to be any external damage.

If I hold the TV and gently rotate it in space there seems to be something loose inside which moves ??

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
If you're actually concerned that something is broken and loose inside the tv, then the most sensible course of action would be to remove the rear panel and have a look inside. Is there any chance you can send me several photos of the inside of the set to: [email protected] and put Attn: Aric in the heading?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to do that tomorrow morning as it is after 10 pm here.

goodnight,

chat to you tomorrow

Jon

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
That sounds good Jon- thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The e-mail address that you gave me

[email protected] does not work??

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry about that please try:[email protected]
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have sent all the pictures via Google Cloud to the above e-mail address last night

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I haven't received anything. Did you put "Attn: Aric" in the title of the E-mail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Airac,

I have disassembled the SHARP AQUOS LCD TV and I have located a piece of plastic that was roaming around inside.

I have not found any visible internal physical damage to the TV, the power board and the wiring.

There were no loose connections.

There were no missing screws or loose metal components that may be causing short circuits.

I have taken several pictures of the TV components as requested.

Jon Dickens
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply Jon, and unfortunately nobody has sent me an e-mail with any pictures. I will inquire about this as we really need to be able to see what's going on.

However, if you want to take this a step further to isolate and repair the problem yourself, then you can proceed with the instructions below:

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The Power Supply is the board inside the TV that power cord directly attaches to.
Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at an electronics supply store.

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the TV is powered up.
Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.
Try powering up the TV, and if the set operates normally, then you have solved the issue by replacing the faulty cap(s).
If it does not, then you would need to isolate which board is causing the problem by measuring the Power Supply Voltages.
Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.
Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.
If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Airic.

Have you received my pictures from JustAnswer?

They told me that they received them and then sent them on to you

Jon

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I did see the pictures Jon, and there's nothing shown that pops into mind as far as an obvious failure mechanically. At this stage, we're looking to track down the problem electrically as described above. You're looking to have to measure the power supply outputs and make sure all are within spec first and foremost, then if the voltages are confirmed to be in spec, we're looking at replacing the T-Con board. If the voltages are not in spec, we're looking at a faulty power supply and that would then be replaced.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company