Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Sound no picture on Philips 42" LCD Part # XXXXX TFT-LCD

Sound no picture on Philips 42" LCD Part # XXXXX TFT-LCD LC42OWU5-SLB1 was replaced four years ago
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

What is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and

If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occuring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cable box

No.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

So, you're not getting any video processed at all to the panel.

Please try this so we can further isolate the problem:

Shine a flashlight directly against the LCD panel and look very closely. Do you see a shadowy, barely visible image of the program you're trying to watch behind the screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay,. Can you tell me if the screen itself is actually backlighting- slightly lighter than when the set is off?

Also, what type of solution are you looking for here with this problem- are you looking to diagnose and fix the TV yourself?

Or are you looking for what the problem could be, and IF it is repairable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The screen is not backlighting.

I think I can get the fault fixed - if so how much is it worth to fix?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

There are actually a few different components that could cause the problems you're having, and to isolate it further, voltages would need to be taken from the power supply to determine if any are out of spec or shorted.

I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can here.

One common cause of this is the power supply board. There are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec, and can prevent the TV from powering up. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be $200 parts and labor.

The other common issue is a faulty Mainboard. This board carries the communication to the power supply to allow the supply to deliver it's voltages to the various circuits in the TV, and is around $275 parts and labor in this set.

Also, the backlight inverter boards which are responsible for lighting up the LCD display could be causing this problem. If one of the boards has a short, it can cause the power supply to shut down. Average cost of replacing the Inverters is around $250 parts and labor.

I know this is not good news, and I wish there was a quick fix for this problem for you..

If you need further assistance let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is your experience with this model. Will the fault re-occur. I've had this TV repaired before 3 year ago under guarantee.

On the repair docket report it says XXXXXXXXXX Replaced screen

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
My experience is that this model and Phillips TV's in general have major reliability issues. I see this fault everyday on your set, and it is very likely to occur again. I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for, but if it were me, I would not put the money into this TV as it will not be cost effective in the long run. The money would be much better spent towards the purchase of an upper end LG or Toshiba set which are much better with regards XXXXX XXXXX

If you need anything further please let me know and I will assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm not sure your technician is familiar with the particular model I have a problem with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How long should I wait?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
This technician is familiar with the model TV that you have. What specific assistance are you looking for here today?