Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

i have abush 32 inch lcd widescreen tv its switched on but

Customer Question

i have abush 32 inch lcd widescreen tv its switched on but i just have a black screen

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the set?

Also, does the TV have sound but no picture?

If you press MENU on the TV will the MENU show up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

menu does not come up

no sound

just a green light tell me the tv is on

model number is blcd32h8

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

How long have you had the set for?

Additionally, did this problem occur after a storm or power outage?

Had this problem happened previously, but seemed to correct itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the tv is about 2 years old

no the problem has not happened before

no storm or power cut that i m aware of

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay thank you. This problem can be caused by several different things. Let's try a basic reboot of the EEPROM in the set by following the steps below:

Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same symptoms or if the screen turns on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

same thing screen did not turn on

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Does the set actually click on when you press the power button?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The green light comes on saying its turned on but the screen stays blank

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
The only thing that you can try on a user level- without opening the TV up, is leaving it unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets by draining the residual current from the power supply.

Beyond that, the TV does need service internally.

I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can here.

One common cause of this is the power supply board. There are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec, and can prevent the TV from powering up. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be $150 parts and labor.

The other common issue is a faulty Mainboard. This board carries the communication to the power supply to allow the supply to deliver it's voltages to the various circuits in the TV, and is around $150 parts and labor in this set.

Also, the backlight inverter boards which are responsible for lighting up the LCD display could be causing this problem. If one of the boards has a short, it can cause the power supply to shut down. Average cost of replacing the Inverters is around $125 parts and labor.

To determine which board in the TV is causing the failure, a Tech would need to measure the outputs of the power supply using a meter to see if any are shorted, or if another fault board is causing it to shut down.

I know this is not good news, and I wish there was a quick fix for this problem for you..
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see if you were successful in following the steps I provided as a solution to your problem. If there's anything I did not cover- please feel free to reply back to the original post. If you've received all the information you needed, please don't forget to rate my service accordingly. Thank you! Aric