bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  7+ Years Small Business Owner - Certified Sales And Service of Electronic Items for Home and Vehicle.
22516588

Hi i have an Hatachi 42" LCD L42VPO1UA , the problem is the

Customer Question

Hi i have an Hatachi 42" LCD L42VPO1UA , the problem is the tv has sound but no picture .
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

Do you hear any noises while it attempts to power on? Clicks, pops, buzzes, whirrrs?

Are there any solid or flashing indicator lights on the front of the set?
If YES - What color?
If flashing - is there a set pattern, or number, of blinks between slight pauses?

In a dark room - Does the screen "GLOW" black - or is it just "dead"?

Does the picture appear for any length of time, or never?

Are you able to bring up the On-Board settings menu?

Finally - do you have experience repairing TVs and testing live circuits, or are you looking for a diagnostic and repair estimate?

Thanks!!

NOTE: Researching answers, complexity of the problem, and customer Volume (real and virtual) can all extend your answer time. The questions asked above are very important for me to have a better understanding of what you are seeing... and potential problems with your TV. Please allow some time to review service and reference materials and to type out a reply once you have submitted answers to all of the information requested above
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi looking at the screen, there was a bit of smoke which came out of the top left hand corner at the back of the tv . the tv is not making any noises at all , or any solid flashes or indicator lights of any color . the screen is just Black . i can not bring up on - board settings menu . I don't have any experience of repairing tv's , but if there is a part i can buy which is easy to replace in the set i am sure i could replace it , or i have a friend who repairs electrical goods .

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
The first thing to do, then, is to unplug the TV from the mains & lay the TV down on a table with a blanket on it... face down and remove all the screws necessary to remove the back panel.

Once it is removed - look around for a scorched area on a particular board, and report back your findings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi , with the tv lying on its face and the back cover removed , there is a bit of scorching , there is 7 wires which are attached to a white clip number 81 A7ZS V33 , well i think that is the number , white clip is then attached to a circuit board on the left hand side , there is scorching on the wires and the white clip , the metal plate keeping the circuit board in place is number 3550S-0559A .

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
From your description, it sounds like the backlight inverter and it's cable connecting to the power supply.

Is it possible to take a picture of the back of the TV and upload it here using the paperclip icon?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry i don't have the software to do this , please tell me , can this problem be fixed and is there a part i can buy , or is the tv knackered .

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
It would appear you would need the cable and (minimally) an inverter board.

It can surely be repaired.

eBay would be the best place to find parts if you were thinkingabout doing this yourself. Just be sure to get the exact replacement inverter as is in your set currently.

Hitachi does not sell spares direct to the consumer - you must have repairs done at a technician authorized by Hitachi, or spares will be hard to obtain.

This is the inverter....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If you can find spares - it's a simplboard replacement... however the cable is the bugger here. It is not going to be an easy find for you, unless you can find one that is being sold for parts only.

I recommend visiting a Hitachi authorized technician in your area to have the repair done.

You can expect a bill in the 70-85 BPS range for a new board, cable, and labour.

If you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!