Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Licensed TV repair technician in the US with over 30 experience in the US.
59014109

Hi. My Panasonic Viera wont turn on. I unplugged it to move

Customer Question

Hi. My Panasonic Viera wont turn on. I unplugged it to move it and now it does not turn on. I've checked the power socket - it works. The tv though remains off. There is no flashing of the red light.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

When you do press your TV's power button...do you at least see the light on the front light up?

If not, it sounds like the main power board isn't delivering power to the TV's micro, and that is what lights up the led on the front of the TV set.

Check along the left /right and bottom edges for a push switch or a flip switch. Some models have "vacation/master power" switches that get flipped off after moving them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying - No the front light does not light up. It happened last time I moved too - about 6 months ago. But after a few tries, it started and I havent had a problem since I never turned the power off. Now again the same thing seems to have happened. Is there a procedure I should be following?

I just checked the bottom and side panels - no master switch as far as I can see. The model is the viera TXP42XT50B

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

GPF15D-E

We should get the back cover off, and maybe flex the power board and cord inside to see if there's a bad solder connection on that. The light isn't lit and that power board does provide that light its power.

graphic

Obviously, once you remove the rear cover, you can reinstall you stand so you can use it.

But before you plug it in...flex the power board gently, maybe loosen/tighten the screws that mount the board to the TV frame. Those screws could be the ground path back to the power supply, and it's like the ground cable in your car to the car battery....it has to have a good connection.

Check the light. Let's see if that restores operation.

Now plug it in and turn it on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this and hopefully it works - once I go get a screwdriver. It was working even this morning before I unplugged it - any particular reason it doesnt turn on when you unplug it?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well unplugging the TV set just shuts down the microprocessor and makes it reload the software. If there is a software issue, that should restore normal operation.

But that's Software.....There is a Hardware component that runs that software and it's the microprocessor.

Then there's the ON/OFF command that is supposed to activate the rest of the power supply. Hopefully it activates a relay so you hear a click. That's a lot easier than connecting a voltmeter to the 12 volt power supply circuit and seeing if the voltage switches between Off = 0 Volts and On = 12 Volts.

But that's really what we're trying to do here. Checking Software by unplugging it, then checking to see if the power supply is actually being turned on or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - I thought about opening it up like you suggested to check, but ended up not opening becuase it would void my warranty.

However - the good news for me is htat when i just tried restarting it this morning it worked - no reason. I'm glad but also surprised. Thanks for your input - but couldnt really use any of it as it turned out.