Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an old 50 inch samsung plasma.It had the dreaded clicking

Customer Question

I have an old 50 inch samsung plasma.It had the dreaded clicking problem so I put it in the spare room and bought a new tv.When I startedto read the forums about samsungs I thought I should phone the samsung helpline to askfor advice.They told me that my set did not come under their new repair warranty and told me thatmy setmust have a problem that is not caused by the installation of the wrong capacitors.Not to be one to let things go I decided to have a look.After taking the back off [the set had not been plugged in for years] I looked for defective or bulging caps but I could not see anything obviously wrong with the caps . what I did notice though was a great big blob of siliconthat was attatcatched to one of the caps and also attatched to a heat sink, I carefully looked to see what it was doing and it seems like it has just been dropped there by mistake.Would this cause the capacitor to over heat and play up bearing in mind that when the set was play up it used to be ok for 10 minutes and then it would start to click on and off, but if I tried to put the set on again after only a short time it would not come on at all but would just keep clicking a
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the set?

Also, no, the silicon would not cause the capacitor to overheat as the are not a component that generates heat under normal useage.

While you still could have a bad capacitor, the only way to tell for sure is to use and "in-circuit capacitance meter" to test all of them and see if they're in spec.

In many cases it is simply easier to install a new power supply. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.