Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Phillips 42PFP5532D/05 that died about 2 years ago

Customer Question

I have a Phillips 42PFP5532D/05 that died about 2 years ago and i replaced it and now id like to put some life back into it considering parts are pretty cheap.

The TV powers up, Power LED is normal (no blinking)
Screen is flickering with an audible click in sync with the flickering on screen
Patches of red/green snow throughout the set
Panel seems to be priming, going from jet black to grey in some areas, but its also flickering.
Green LED blinking on the logic board (i think its logic board, its not the one with inputs)
Ticking sound from YSUS board
Capacitors are not bulging/leaking

Can you advise please, i don't want to purchase replacement boards to find out its the panel.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Have you measured the voltages, specifically the Va and Vs from the power supply board at this stage yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not yet, i've got a multimeter but not too sure what i should be checking. I can post pictures.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.
Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.
If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Power supply seems all good, voltages are solid.

What do you mean by shutdown?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay so your voltages are all staying up to spec correct? This is good. Now, please move onto checking the heatsinks on both Sustain boards once the set has been running for 20 minutes, and let me know if they all get warm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are all warm, but the ysus board heatsinks are warmer.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. What we see most commonly on these sets are failures in the two Sustain boards as they are the hardest working components in the TV. However, there is absolutely no way for one to tell 100% if the issue is not caused by a faulty Plasma panel, as the only way to test a panel is with known working Sustain boards, and the only way to test Sustain boards is with a known good panel. They work in tandem, so it's always a bit of a gambit on these sets. The only logical solution is to purchase both Sustain boards and replace them, otherwise we're at an impasse in determining if they are causing the problem or not. If the set was in my shop, I would first inspect the panel for any hairline cracks, and also any excessive buzz (they should always buzz a little bit), as those are obvious signs of a bad panel. However, if these symptoms are not present, then you would want to proceed ordering up and replacing the two Sustain boards in the TV.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok i will order the x and y boards and take a gamble.

Here is a picture of what i see on screen anyway.

I was told by another guy that these the pictures above look like it could be XSUS board or logic board.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
The X and Y Sus should always be swapped out as a pair whenever possible as they both receive the same amount of use. As far as your Logic board, the green light that's blinking, it's about once per second correct? If so, this would appear the Logic Board is fine. The screen is staying primed, which tells us the driver is working and I'm really looking hard at the Sus boards. If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service.