Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a panasonic TH-42PZ80B TV and would like to connect

Customer Question

I have a panasonic TH-42PZ80B TV and would like to connect a Seagate hard drive. That hard rive normally connects into a TV via a USB but this panasonic hasn't got. USB input. Are there other ways to connect it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, thanks for your question, and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, being an older model, this tv was made before the current breed of "smart" tvs, meaning it doesn't support this type of functionality.

Nathan :

There is no way to connect the hard drive to interface directly with the tv.

Nathan :

Depending what you're looking to do (presumably to play videos or view pictures on the hard drive), there are some other options though additional equipment will be required.

Nathan :

As the tv has no "smart" functions of it's own, you'll need to hook up an external streaming device. You can use something like a chromecast or roku, which hooks up to the hdmi port on the tv. This would add several functions to the tv, letting you stream netflix, youtube, etc. It would also be able to pick up and stream videos from a computer on your home wifi network (you'd have to plug the hard drive into that computer)

Nathan :

There is also a vga port on the panasonic, to which you could connect a computer directly, essentailly using the tv as a big computer monitor, and running the content from the hard drive on the computer that way.

Nathan :

If one of these options sounds acceptable to you, I'll be happy to explain further about how to set things up