Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have a UE32EH500-0 Samsung Digital T.V.linked to a Toshiba

I have a UE32EH500-0 Samsung Digital T.V.linked to a Toshiba RD-XV48DTKB HDD+DVD+VCR
recorder.

In Toshiba mode I press GUIDE and I cannot access the EPG prgramme.If I go into SET UP I cannot access EPG.I can access TIMER programme for manual selection.

Also,in Toshiba mode I cannot manually change T.V.programes from the handset.If I press the up/down programe button the tv goea from AV1 to AV2 and so on back to AV1.In AV1 I get a picture in Toshiba mode.

How can I set up for EPG.

Peter Kisby
Category: TV
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

It sounds like the remote control lost it's programming for the Toshiba - but it's something that can be corrected by re-programming it for the Toshiba. What is the model number of the remote control?

Mike
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I am in a panic.JustAnswer does not seem to work O.K.for me.

When I register with my email address it says it is a duplicate.Its not.I used the service some years ago.There is only one Peter kisby and that is me.

In reply to your request the hand set model number is SE-RO298.

I have replaced the scart lead and aerial feed but no go.And I also have some background "ghosting"on the picture in Toshiba mode.

Sure do hope this message gets through to you.

Best regards,

Peter Kisby.

P.S.I have already pressed box 4 assessment and think I should not have done this until the end of the task.So I sent all this info to Customer Services and that came back as "not known email address".

"What's going on?.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
I was addressing the issue of the remote. But for the EPG - this requires that the system be plugged in and turned off overnight. It should only take one evening to update and then be available. If it doesn't become available, then it may require a reset of the box. Have you done a full reset alrady?

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

How do I do a full reset?.What do you mean by the system be plugged in and turned off overnight?

Peter

By being plugged in and turned off overnight, what I mean is that it should stay connected to the mains at all times and the power should never be disconnected. In order for it to download the guide it must be connected to the mains and powered off by the power button at least overnight. The guide is broadcast at certain times and not continuously so it can take a little while for to download the program guide that's why I recommend leaving it turned off at night but still plugged into the mains that's the only way we'll get the program guide. The reset I would only do if the previous procedure fails.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I left it on standby last 24 hoiurs.No change with EPG.

Should I go to reset now?Is that the thing called return to factory condition?

Peter

Return to factory condition will erase everything, but yes, that's what I would do as the next step. Unfortunately, that's the only remaining troubleshooting step you can take. On the otherhand, if it does correct the problem, it is permanent (as permanent as it could be, I mean)

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I return to factory condition,will it erase the films etc saved on my hard drive?

Yes, Peter... it will erase everything. You will have to set it up from scratch.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I clicked on reset and it would not do it.Just threw me back to the foot of the listed menu where "factory reset sits"

Nothing reset.All hard drive content as was.

Where do we go from here.

Peter

Are you certain that you are doing the reset on the DVR and not the TV itself?

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Definitely on the DVR.

I loaded times into the manual timer.It came on and off at the correct times.But it records a good picture whilst the T.V.is turned on.But as soon as I turn the T.V. off the picture goes blank.

If I just load in times and turn off TV before start time it is completely blank and runs exactly to timer time start/finish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely certain.

I have tried reset time and again.It just throws me back to set up general settings in the DVR.

Peter. it sounds like the input for the DVR is coming from the TV... is that possible?

Make sure the input is directly into the DVR and that the DVR provides the input to the TV and not the other way around.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael,

The antennae goes into the plug marked "antenna in"in the back of the DVR..Below that a plug is marked "out" and that leads directly to the T.V. where there is one plug marked "antenna in".

On the DVR there is a scart socket marked AV! TV.This is connected to the T.V.to the only scart socket on the T.V.

There is another scart socket on the DVR marked AV2 DECODER (HDD/DVD/DVR).

This scart socket is empty.If I put the scart socket from the AV1 TV in here I get a blank screen in AV1,2,3 and 4.

Thank you Peter. So, when you are looking for the program guide are you looking at it from the TV tuner, or the DVR tuner through the SCART connector?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Through the DVR tuner with the scart connected.

In TV mode the DVR handset has no effect on any button.

That is what I would expect with the remote. Unless you are using the Samsung remote for the TV. They are both separate unless one can be programmed as a universal remote. However, if I am thinking of this correctly, you should have two devices capable of getting the EPG... Both the TV and the DVR. Is correct? And neither of them do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With the T.V.remote I can get the EPG as provided by Samsung.But there is no way I can highlight a programme and record it.

With the DVR remote I get no EPG and seeing no programmes I cannot highlight a programme to record it.

The DVR handset acts strangely in as much as if I press the button for No.1 channel it just moves from AV1 to AV2.If I press the channel "rocker switch" to advance channel by 1 channel it just moves from AV1 to AV2.

If I go into "manual timer" I can set the the time with the handset for on and off.When I tr to set the channel again it just moves from AV1 to AV2,AV3 Disc and back to AV1.

Peter... so it sounds like the DVR handset is set to control the channels/inputs on the TV rather than the DVR. I think what is happening is that when you are using the DVR handset, and you press the channel up/down buttons, it is changing the input on the TV rather than the DVR. There are some buttons that do not apply to the TV, so those buttons revert back to controlling the DVR. On your remote control, do you have buttons on the top that say TV, DVR, etc? If so, please press the DVR button for two or three seconds, and then try the channel again.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael.....there are 4 buttons at the top of the DVR handset.

On/off;HDMI which changes nothing;Input select which goes through the AV1,AV2,AV3 Disc and back to AV1.If I hold this button down it just keeps changing in the sequence described.FinallyOpen/Close which takes in or rejects VHS cassettes or DVD discs.

I notice that in T.V.mode the picture is crystal clear.In VHR mode there is ghosting.A faint image moving from left to right.The faint image is a copy of the main picture showing.And the sound track is delayed on speech.I.E.the sentence ends;the mouth closes but the sound carries on for a short duration.

Hope this helps. .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

Took the unit to a repair shop.They re programmed the micro processor..

EPG works fine now.

Peter