Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

An engineer came today because my TV says no signal, he was

Customer Question

An engineer came today because my TV says no signal, he was sent from Let's Be Clear 800. He fitted a filter,
But still no signal - he said the box didn't work. I am 87 and unable to kneel down, but I think it says TVONICS HDMI I paid £202 as far as I remember. I can get all channels if I use the remote that I only used for sound, but am unable to record.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

it sounds as though you are able to tune in individual channels on the tv itself (using the tv remote, and the tv's built in tuner), but you have an external cable box/dvr.

Nathan :

The issue may be that the dvr is faulty, needs to be reset, or the tv is tuned to the wrong input.

Nathan :

I would start by looking for a button on the television remote that says INPUT, SOURCE, VIDEO, AV, AUX or similar. You may need to press this several times to cycle through the different options, until signal from the dvr comes up.

Nathan :

The input you are looking for should be called something like HDMI1, HDMI2, etc

Nathan :

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the box, by unplugging power to it for 60+ seconds.

Nathan :

If that still doesn't work, that would mean the box itself is faulty, and would need to be replaced.

Nathan :

I'll be happy to recommend some replacement options for you if you'd like to order online, or of course you can find locally (goodmans, etc). Many local shops will have install services available as well, if you would need assistance with that aspect.

JACUSTOMER-4hg1e9fe- : Nothing appears to work. I don't feel like paying another £202, but that may be what I will have to do. Will wait until one of my children visits, they may be able to sort it out.
Nathan :

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer in this case,

Nathan :

if the reset did not help, it is most likely a hardware issue though,

Nathan :

but not all systems are that expensive either

Nathan :

Note also that you only need the box if you wish to record,

Nathan :

you can use the built in tuner in the tv just to watch live tv

Nathan :

Here are 2 models you might consider for replacement dvr boxes, at lower prices:

Nathan :

Whatever you do though, don't buy any box that is labeled for use with "Top Up TV", many of those (both new and used) have come up on the market, this service has stopped broadcasting, so those boxes no longer work.