info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a Hitachi L19DP04U digital TV and DVD combi [ in the

Customer Question

I have a Hitachi L19DP04U digital TV and DVD combi [ in the UK ]

A visitor to the house was using the remote last night and has somehow changed a setting. This has resulted in the picture being rendered as a very washed out [ almost colour negative ] screen. it almost looks like a S-VHS picture feed being shown on a Non S-VHS setting !!

Can you suggest how to revert it to normal please ?

This has happened once before but I cannot find how I fixed the problem
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu look bad and washed out or is this OK?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Menus are fine, it is just the dvt transmissions via freeview

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul

Do a first time installation that will get you back to square 1 click here for the manual

Go to page 18 carry out first time install will default the set back to factory settings

Let me know if that changes anything
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anthony,

I am afraid that this did not work ,[ tried it twice ].

The menus in this process were " faded out" just like the transmissions. The only menu which come up properly are those you get when you press the menu button and go to the ones on picture, sound , etc.

I have tried to attach some photos, hope they help

Paul

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

If you use another input like a dvd player via scart or similiar is that OK?

Thanks for the photo that helps

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony ,

I have input A DVT recorder box via the Scart connector and it shows the picture perfectly !!, But the tuner picture is still messed up.

Paul

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul

OK thats a good clue, because of that check the problem is confined to the tuner area of the set, I cant see this being any mis-adjustment its either the tuner itself within the set or maybe you may have a problem with the coax lead?please check the coax plug and lead, the only other thing I can think of is patterning because of a modulator misalignment from a dvd or maybe an old vcr so go DIRECTLY to the tuner input on the set with the aerial lead, if its still the same you have a bad tuner in the set (assuming you have checked coax plug and lead)

Let me know about those checks so I can make a definate analysis

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony,

The TV was connected directly to the Ariel socket plate in the wall. A different lead was used to connect the DVT recorder to the same socket. the signal via the DVT Recorder and via the Scart works perfectly. That same lead when plug directly into the TV tuner makes no difference, the problem still persists.

Looks like it is the tuner

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Have you switched the recorder off from the wall (with power)and run the coax lead direct to TV let me know if that changes anything?if not yes its looking like a bad tuner

Let me know

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony,

This unit isa TV/DVD Combination unit. I tried to play a DVD in it today and got the same picture problem as I do with the TV. I ma not sure it is the tuner as all the channels and stuff are there it is just the way in which it is displayed . Almost like and rgb signal on a non RGB conventional tv

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Aaah yes its a combi isnt it, OK but you did try something via the scart and you said that was OK?is it?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes via the scart is fine, it is just the "internal Processes" TV Tuner and onboard DVD player

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Yes the signals are routed differently and its that signal processing for the dvd and the tvs tuner that is bad, again it all would have amounted to replacement of the tsunami mainboard within the set that houses the tuner and carries out the processing for everything within the set, it will mean getting the board out, not easy in combos can you do that yourself?

Anthony