Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a samsung 55uf8000 tv connected to Sony blu Ray DVD

Customer Question

I have a samsung 55uf8000 tv connected to Sony blu Ray DVD sound system ( bdv-n9100w)- every hour or so the sound keeps cutting out ( picture remains) for about 2 minutes and the display on the DVD player changes from " TV hdmi" to " no disc" and then a few seconds later the sound returns. I called Sony and they said the TV keeps changing the source from the tv to the DVD player so I need help please to stop the tv doing this?
John
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your TV question.

It sounds as though the Source (Input) button may be triggering unexpectedly on either the remote or on the TV's control panel.

Try leaving the TV remote (and any other remotes that are capable of controlling the TV, e.g. Sky) outside of the room and check if the problem persists.
If the problem continues when there are no remotes in the room, then the problem may be with the Input button on the TV itself - try pressing it firmly and releasing it several times when the TV is powered off to see if that helps unstick it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I'm blind but I cannot find any buttons at all on this tv ( and the manual only mentions the remote) - are you familiar with this model? ( tv is I hanging on wall so not easy to look behind it)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

The model number you have provided "55UF8000" does not exist;

I have a similar model here, and the buttons are concealed on the lower right-hand side of the TV.

If you still can't find the buttons, please reconfirm the model number.

Thanks!

Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is the correct model number ( I have the box still and if you google it you will find it there)- can't find any buttons on the RHS
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I have searched the Samsung UK site and the model is not listed.
(Your question has come through to JustAnswer UK - was the TV bought elsewhere?)
Could you send me a link if possible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me an email address and I can send a photo of the box - I found a joystick on back side of tv so there is no input button for me to press ( one has to use the joystick to bring up the menu in the tv screen and you can choose source from that menu ) - and the sound disappeared again even with the remotes in a different room
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

If you are unable to attach photos here using the paperclip icon in the toolbar, you can email the photos [email protected] along with a link to this question and request that they forward it to me.

Do you know if this is a UK model? Where was the TV purchased from?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in prague and purchased in Czech Republic
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,
Does the problem stop if you disconnect the BluRay system?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But then i would not get any sound at all - the sound is coming from the dvd player speakers
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Just as a process of elimination - I'd like to check if that BluRay system is causing the TV to jump to the DVD player every hour or so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do i know what is causing the problem? All i know is what i wrote in the first message- that the siund disappears, the display on the dvd player changes from " tv hdmi " to " no disc" and then the tv display returns and the sound returns- i called Sony and they said the tv is changing the source
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
We can determine what is causing the problem through a process of elimination.
If the problem does not continue when the BluRay system is disconnected, then it is likely related to the link between the BluRay and the TV, or the settings on one of them.
Can you also confirm that the BluRay system is connected to the TV with a HDMI cable, and what port on the TV the cable is connected to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is connected with a hdmi cable - to hdmi in 3 (arc)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the ARC connection may be interfering with the audio or not set up correctly - can you try connecting to a different HDMI and confirm there is then no interruption?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are only 3 hdmi in points- hdmi 2 already used up with another cable ( to the sky satellite box)- so I put it to hdmi1 ( stb)- I will let you know if it helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sound again disappeared even with cable in hdmi 1( stb)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Does it still show "No disc" when using HDMI1?
Can you time the intervals how often it is happening, so I can see how regularly it occurs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does - happens a couple of times every hour
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Is the time interval exactly every 30 minutes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it varies, sometimes more, sometimes less that 2 per hour
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so the problem varies - this does indicate a sticking control of some sort.

Try leaving the sound system remote (and any other remotes that are capable of controlling the sound system) outside of the room and check if the problem persists.
If the problem continues when there are no remotes in the room, then the problem may be with the Input button on the sound system itself - try pressing it firmly and releasing it several times when the sound system is powered off to see if that helps unstick it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Leaving remotes out of room didn't help and the DVD player is a touch screen model so no input button to press
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Does the DVD player's display change at all when the sound goes off?
If so, what does it say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At first no change, then after about 90 seconds the " no disc" message comes up, then the" tv hdmi " message returns and the sound comes back ( I wrote all this in my first message describing the issue)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Check that there is no disc in the player, upside down or otherwise.
Try operating the system with the disc drawer open and let me know if the sound still disappears (this is not a fix, just a troubleshooting exercise).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sound has not disappeared since I left the DVD door open ( 2 hours) -
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok. This indicates a fault within the sound system, possibly with the hardware or the firmware, which is causing it to try playing a disc every so often.
Check that the touch panel is wiped clean in case some contamination on it is triggering the action.
If that does not help, then the system will need to be returned to a Sony service centre for repair.