info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

a grey bar at the top of my television has appeared and when

a grey bar at the top of my television has appeared and when I go on to tv guide a blue bar appears in the grey bar with settings and I cannot get rid of gry bar.
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I will need the full model number of the set please found on the back of the set?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KV36FS76/SLVD900

MODEL NO - KDL 4DV4000

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

They are two entirely seperate sets lol have another look at the set thats bad

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KV36FS76/SLVD900

MODEL NO - KDL 40V4000

SER NO -(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

A KV36FS76 is an old CRT set 36inch

A KDL40V4000 is an LCD 40 INCH SET

Which set is the problem please

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Soory its the old s - 36"

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carol

OK is the picture geometry distorted (flatter heads on people)

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control is the bar across the top here on the menu display too please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not distorted and when press tv guide blue bar appears on grey bar with tv settings. Also the model on back of tv is correct one. Thanks

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

If you use another input like a dvd player or video recorder is it the same with these please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carol

Could you take a photo and upload it?you can use the paperclip on your toolbar or a free photo site of your choice and post me the link (like www.imgur.com)take 2 photos one on the picture and one of the menu

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No idea how to do that. the grey bar is 2" long from the top though. In the blue bar I have tv guide, planner, on demand, box office, search, radio, interactive, options, settings and some more. Hope this helps

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

It may be closed caption enabled try and press the CC button\teletext\subtitle button on the remote or cycling the button

Let me know if this changes anything please

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do it first tomorrow and get back

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

OK it does sound like closed caption is enabled when not supported let me know

If that doesnt work try and get me a photo of the issue if you can

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is closed caption and how do I not enable this. Please be more specific

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Closed caption is the writing on the screen and you need to disable it it may be enabled when its not supported then you just get a box in an area of the screen could be anywhere (for the deaf)

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cannot find it - I need more information

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

It may be termed subtitles\text\cc\ on the remote press that button or cycle it if it doesnt work let me know, but you may have to send a photo

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What does cycle it mean. I can find subtitles but nothing is happening

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Cycle means keep pressing the button

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not getting anywhere and becoming annoyed

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Carol their are many things that can cause your issue without me actually seeing this myself via a photo I can only make educated guesses of what it could be I need two photos one with the menu up and one on a normal pic, the chances are the set will require repair inside too

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not think so. HD box failed and I pressed lots of buttons and when it worked next day this grey bar was on tv. I have told you what is on blue bar and cannot understand why you want a photo

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

Its not being generated by the box because the sets own menu using the sets own remote menu has the bar on so it has to be the set itself nothing to do with the hd box

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

speak with you tomorrow - nothing happening and not happy