info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a wall hung 26 inch Samsung LCD TV Model LE26A457 purchased

I have a wall hung 26 inch Samsung LCD TV Model LE26A457 purchased in late 2008. It has Sky and Freeeview

The red light comes on at the front showing it has power but it will only very rarely produce a picture or sound - just remaining blank black and silent. Occasionally it does come on - apparently of its own volition and sometimes in the middle of the night. When it does come on, it responds to all controls.

We have tried a change of power lead, checked the aerial connections, changed handset batteries and are confident that power is switched on at the all and on the front of the device.
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

Samsung sets suffer from bad capacitors on the powerboard its a common issue with all samsungs globally so the first check would be a visual one for bad capacitors on the powerboard , are you able to do this work yourself?
Assuming it is capacitor trouble (likely)then a engineer will charge around £60 to repair this

Please let me know if you need more info

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will remain open and stay open as long as you need it.If you have any concerns please dont rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for reply.

No, I am not capable of this work myself.

Will a technician definitely to able to ID the faulty capacitor and fix it (for about £60) or is there a risk that he/she will not be able to ID the fault. My TV has already been to a repair shop once for this problem with no improved result.

With a new TV at £250 ish, I am not much inclioned to spend £60 on a five year old one if 'repair' mihgt fail and still cost £60

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anne

I see so you have had it in to repair in that case the first check would have been those capacitors (every tech is aware of this)so its probably mainboard or regulators on the powerboard so I am with you on your judgement, however any repair carried out to a TV has a 3 month warranty for that repair and the same symptoms happening again, for a set of this size though they are reasonably cheap so its a 50\50 decision, it may however be better for you to just get new.

Sorry its nothing easier

Many Thanks
Anthony