info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Panasonic DMR-EX768EB It will playback both programmes recorded

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR-EX768EB
It will playback both programmes recorded from the TV and DVD's, but I can no longer record from the TV. If I press the green Guide button a "duck egg blue" coloured blank screen comes up. If I try using the manual method (direct TV record) the same happens.

I'm not sure if it's on it's way out(a shame because it is very good) or it can be rectified.
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

For the vast majority of cases where their is no tuning no tuner response is because the 5vdc supply to the tuner has gone down, now this is usually caused by a bad capacitor that decouples the 5vdc supply, it goes short circuit taking the supply with it and thus the tuner so no tuner no guide or anything associated.
To replace this capacitor is not easy it means taking out the RAM drive and two other boards to just get at it.
A panasonic service agent will charge around £80 for this work

Please let me know if you need more info

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will remain open and stay open as long as you need it.If you have any concerns please dont rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't had a reply from you. Did you get my question?

I don't want to close this off.

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.

Can you not see my reply above please?or have you replied to the above

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I asked if you thought it was worth being repaired or would it be better to buy new? If so which model would you recommend?

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi XXXXX didnt get that reply back we may have an issue with the site.

Have you used the unit a lot?

How old is the unit now please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. It's just over 5 years old. We use it most days.

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Douglas

In that case it may not be worth the expense of a repair because of the laser power it wont be the same as what it was having been used for 5 years it has a life (just like the video heads on videorecorder)so if it was me I would be looking at new, stick with known brands like panasonic\toshiba\hitachi the machine would depend on what specification you require we see many machines its difficult to say whats a good model.

Please remember to rate the answer positively thank you their will be a rating bar with this post

Thanks again

Anthony

Thanks again
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.

Pleasure to help

If you need any other help just let me know

Many Thanks

Anthony