Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my flip down tv in the kitchen is stuck on dvb mode with no

Customer Question

my flip down tv in the kitchen is stuck on dvb mode with no signal & unsupported showing on the screen
How do I get it back so I can watch sky tv from our lounge on the set in the kitchen?
I may have made matters worse as I have tried pushing all the buttons at some stage or other!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

can you tell me the brand and model number of the tv please?

Nathan :

when you say dvb, do mean the freeview/aerial connection?

Nathan :

How is the sky box in the other room connected to the kitchen tv (what input/port/cable type)?

JACUSTOMER-pr6y6ptm- :

I don't know exactly, I just know that whatever channel is on in the lounge I could get in the kitchen

Nathan :

Okay. I'm afraid I can't be much help here without any detail to base an answer on.

Nathan :

Most likely you have a coaxial connection between kitchen tv and the sky box,

Nathan :

meaning the kitchen tv should likely be tuned in to either channel 3 or channel 4 to pick up the lounge signal

Nathan :

can you try that

Nathan :

either using channel up/down, or typing 3 (or 03) or 4 on the kitchen tv remote

JACUSTOMER-pr6y6ptm- :

tv is an easycom model no EC2700DVBT - KT

JACUSTOMER-pr6y6ptm- :

WHEN I TRY PUSHING OTHER CHANNEL BUTTONS NOTHING HAPPENS & I CAN'T KEEP IT ON TV OR AV MODE, KEEPS GOING BACK TO DVB?

Nathan :

So when you press the MODE button it won't go to the tv (tuner) setting?

Nathan :

Are you sure it is saying dvB and not dvD?

Nathan :

this unit has a built in dvd player, if there is a disc inserted, that may be the issue, try to eject it and see if you can go to tv mode then

JACUSTOMER-pr6y6ptm- :

they're is no MODE button, either on the tv or remote

JACUSTOMER-pr6y6ptm- :

definitely dvb , no dvd in there

Nathan :

it may not be called mode, but rather Input, Source, AV, etc

Nathan :

If that doesn't do it, this would tend to indicate a hardware failure, meaning the tuner card inside the tv may have failed. This particular tv model (and brand in general) is generally known as poor quality, and tends to have a short life and high failure rate.

Nathan :

As a next step, we can try to reset the tv, but unplugging power at the mains

Nathan :

wait 15 minutes

Nathan :

then press and hold the power button on the tv (not remote) for 60+ seconds

Nathan :

keep holding while plugging power back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Nathan :

Let me know if that helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you haven't given poor advice it just hasn't worked!

what next please?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Claire, sorry to hear that didn't work.

I do hope you don't consider the advice poor, the ratings are intended to be a reflection of my time, effort, and service. It is not always possible to "fix" this type of situation, and at this point all signs are pointing to a hardware failure.

Since you have attempted the reset steps I mentioned without success, that would unfortunately tend to indicate an internal hardware failure, meaning the control board or tuner in the tv has failed. There is no fix for that, it would require some significant repairs to correct.

While it is possible to fix, it simply would not be worth it, as you'd spend 250-300 on repairs at a local shop, while you could buy a brand new tv (with updated technology and a fresh warranty) for around $100. I will be happy to recommend some replacement models for you if you'd like